This is an elegant-looking dish but is really quite simple to make. I serve it to company a lot but also make it many weeknights, especially when asparagus is in season.
- 8 fresh asparagus spears
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 slices provolone cheese (1 ounce each)
- 2 slices deli ham (3/4 ounce each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1. In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread mustard over 1 side of each chicken breast. Down the center of each, place 2 sage leaves, 1 cheese slice, 1 ham slice and 4 asparagus spears. Fold chicken over asparagus; secure with toothpicks.
- 3. Preheat air fryer to 325°. Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken into the flour, egg, and then bread crumb mixture.
- 4. Place chicken in a single layer on greased tray in air-fryer basket; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, 15-20 minutes. Discard toothpicks.