Mediterranean Chicken Pasta Bake
Enjoy a satisfying and nutritious dinner with this delicious chicken pasta dish. Combine rigatoni pasta with tender seared chicken and a medley of roasted Mediterranean vegetables, all coated in a rich tomato sauce. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Total Tome: 50 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 large courgette, roughly chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 160g cherry tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ chicken stock cube
- Small handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 5 tbsp fat-free natural Greek yogurt
- 400g dried rigatoni (or other pasta shape)
- 500g skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Place the chopped courgette and yellow pepper on a roasting tin, then spray them with low-calorie cooking spray. Lightly season and toss them well. Roast for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, and add the cherry tomatoes 5 minutes before the cooking time is up.
- Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and heat it over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion and sauté for 10 minutes, adding a little water if it starts to stick.
- Stir in the crushed garlic, tomato purée, canned tomatoes, chicken stock cube, basil, oregano, and 250ml water. Simmer the sauce for 10-15 minutes, or until it thickens. Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the Greek yogurt, and lightly season.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Spray a non-stick griddle pan with low-calorie cooking spray and heat it over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken strips and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are cooked through. Set the cooked chicken aside and keep it warm.
- Drain the cooked pasta and return it to the saucepan, reserving a small amount of the cooking water. Stir in the tomato sauce, roasted vegetables, and chicken. Add a couple of tablespoons of the reserved cooking water if necessary. Lightly season the dish and serve it hot alongside your favorite salad.