A hearty soup that’s sure to satisfy, and you’ll love the left overs!
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat*
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large)
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and chopped carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (3 medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 8 cups low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil**
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb red or yellow potatoes, chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (5 oz.) chopped green beans (trim ends first)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Dab beef dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper then add half of the beef to pot and brown about 4 minutes, turning halfway through.
Transfer to a plate add another 1/2 Tbsp oil to pot and repeat process with remaining half of beef.
Add another 1 Tbsp oil to now empty pot then add onions, carrots, and celery then saute 3 minutes, add garlic saute 1 minute longer.
Pour in broth, tomatoes, browned beef, basil, oregano, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring once or twice throughout, for 30 minutes.
Add potatoes then continue to simmer, covered, 20 minutes (you can also add green beans with potatoes if you like them very soft).
Stir in green beans and simmer 15 minutes longer, or until all of the veggies and beef are tender.
Pour in corn and peas and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve warm.
*Look for a fatty marbled batch of stew meat, it will be more tender. Dice any larger chunks bite size as needed.
**1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning can be used in place of basil, oregano and thyme.
***Fresh corn/peas can be used here as well, just add when adding green beans.
Vegetable Beef Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories 344 Calories from Fat 99
| Fat: 11g| Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 581mg | Potassium: 1403mg | Carbohydrates: 30g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 24g | Vitamin A: 3445IU | Vitamin C: 32.1mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 4.5mg |