Air Fryer Meatball Subs packed with hearty meatballs, marinara, and cheese are an easy 15-minute meal that will become a weeknight favorite!
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 hoagie or sub rolls
- 16 cooked meatballs homemade or frozen
- 1 cup marinara sauce homemade or purchased
- 1 cup Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese mix
Preheat the air fryer to 350 for five minutes while you assemble the subs.
Place 4 meatballs on each roll.
Cover with 1/4 cup of marinara sauce and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, place one or two sandwiches in the air fryer basket.
Cook the sandwiches for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese begins to crisp.
- Use either purchased, frozen meatballs or your favorite homemade meatball recipe for this.
- Hoagie Rolls, sub rolls, French bread, baguette, even hot dog buns work.
- Jarred marinara sauce is easiest, but homemade is even better.
- Mozzarella and Parmesan – use either freshly grated or bagged shredded cheese.
- If you’re using frozen meatballs, cook them in the air fryer first for 9-11 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time. If using leftover meatballs, warm them for 2-3 minutes.
- To make a slightly healthier sub, try using turkey meatballs, whole wheat bread, and no sugar added marinara sauce.
- For a nicely toasted sandwich, brush a bit of olive oil or melted butter onto the outside of the rolls before cooking.
- Serve a small bowl of extra marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
- If you find that your sandwiches come out a bit soggy, you can try pre-toasting the bread and using less marinara sauce. Or omit the sauce and serve it on the side for dipping when serving.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. I recommend wrapping each leftover sandwich in aluminum foil to prevent them from getting too soggy. To reheat, pop them back in the air fryer for 2-5 minutes or until warmed through and once again crispy.
Serve with crispy French fries and extra marinara dipping sauce. For a lighter, healthier option, try a fresh garden salad, some roasted veggies, or a fresh fruit smoothie.
Serving1 | Calories 49kcal | Carbohydrates 2g | Protein 4g | Fat 3g | Saturated Fat 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat 1g | Monounsaturated Fat 1g | Cholesterol 11mg | Sodium 248mg | Potassium 112mg | Fiber 1g | Sugar 1g | Vitamin A 227IU | Vitamin C 2mg | Calcium 75mg | Iron 1mg