This low carb broccoli soup is deliciously rich, creamy and so easy to make on the stove or in the slow cooker. It’s a healthy vegan soup recipe and is also gluten-free, grain-free, low carb, dairy-free, paleo and Whole30 compliant!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 cups broccoli florets (approx 1 head)
- 1/2 cup grated carrots divided
- fine sea salt and black pepper , to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth , divided (can sub with chicken broth if not vegan)
- ½ cup raw cashews , soaked in hot water for at least 30 minutes and drained
- Juice from 1 lemon about 1 tablespoon
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- chopped parsley
- sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- shredded vegan OR cheddar cheese , leave out for whole30 / paleo
SAUTE VEGETABLES: Heat oil in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute for about 4-5 minutes, until softened and fragrant. Add garlic, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Add 3.5 cups of chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
SIMMER: Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and allow to simmer, for 10-15 minutes.
MAKE CASHEW CREAM: Meanwhile, place drained cashews, reserved 1/4 cup chicken broth, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and mustard into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
PUREE SOUP: Use an immersion blender to blend soup or pour into a high speed blender, working in batches, as needed. Blend until desired consistency: creamy smooth or with some chunks, as desired.
SEASON AND SERVE: Combine with cashew cream and season to taste, with additional seasonings, as needed. Garnish with optional toppings.