LOW-CARB TACO CASSEROLE
Cheesy Low-Carb Taco Casserole has ground beef, onion, Ro-Tel tomatoes, cauliflower rice, taco seasoning, and of course lots of cheese!
- 2 cans Ro-Tel Tomatoes with green chiles, mild ((10 oz. size can, see notes)
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped small
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. package cauliflower rice (If you can’t find pre-chopped riced cauliflower in your store, chop a small head of cauliflower in the food processor.)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 T Taco Seasoning Mix (See note)
- 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 3 cups cup grated Mexican Blend Cheese (Use less cheese if you prefer; we wanted it cheesy!)
- Dump the Ro-Tel Tomatoes with Green Chiles into a colander placed in the sink and let them drain while you prep other ingredients.
- Heat oven to 375F/190C and spray a large casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I used an oval-shaped dish that was 11″ long and 8″ wide at the widest point.)
- Chop the onion, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan, and cook onion until it’s cooked through and starting to get some color.
- Add the cauliflower rice and cook over medium-high heat until the moisture in the cauliflower has mostly evaporated and there’s no water in the bottom of the pan, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in the sliced green onions. Transfer the cooked cauliflower rice to a bowl.
- Heat the second tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, add the ground beef, and cook until it’s browned, breaking apart with a turner as it cooks.
- Add the Taco Seasoning and cook 1-2 minutes more, then add the drained Ro-Tel Tomatoes and cook another minute or two.
- Stir in the cauliflower rice, season with salt to taste, and cook until it’s heated through.
- Turn off heat and stir in 2 cups grated Mexican blend cheese.
- Transfer mixture to the casserole dish and top with another cup of grated Mexican Blend.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling hot and cheese is nicely browned on top.
- Serve hot, with things like salsa, Green Tabasco Sauce .Sour Cream, Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, or chopped avocado to add at the table as desired.
I always use Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning Mix for this kind of recipe, but any kind of taco seasoning mix will work. If you can’t find Ro-Tel tomatoes where you live, use a 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes and a 4 oz. can diced green chiles.
YIELD: 8 SERVING SIZE:1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 364| TOTAL FAT: 25g | SATURATED FAT: 11g | UNSATURATED FAT: 11g | CHOLESTEROL: 90mg | SODIUM: 581mg | CARBOHYDRATES: 7g | FIBER: 2g | SUGAR: 3g | PROTEIN: 27g |