If you love chicken fajitas but are following a keto or low carb diet, I’ve got the perfect alternative for you-this Low Carb Chicken Fajita Soup! It has all the same delicious Mexican flavors without all the carbs from the tortillas!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth (this is to pour over chicken in slow cooker)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2½ tbsp homemade taco seasoning (1 packet of taco seasoning)
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook boneless skinless chicken breasts in a slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low in a cup of chicken broth. Season with salt/pepper.
When chicken is cooked through, remove from slow cooker and shred. (You can strain the leftover broth for the soup.)
In a large saucepan, saute green pepper, onion, and garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter until they are translucent.
With a spoon, mash the cream cheese into the veggies so that it will combine smoothly as it melts.
Add the canned tomatoes, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and taco seasoning.
Simmer on low uncovered for 20 minutes.
Add shredded chicken, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy hot!
Optional: Top each bowl with shredded cheese, cilantro, green onions, avocado, and/or sour cream.
- Option 1: Turn this 3-hour recipe into a 30 minute one by purchasing a rotisserie chicken from the food store. The chicken is already cooked, so all you need to do is cut off the breasts and legs and shred/chop that up to add to your soup!
- Option 2: Cook shredded chicken in advance in bulk. Then portion it out into one pound baggies and freeze them. This way, you can quickly defrost your chicken a few hours or the night prior and have it ready to go the day of! This saves you lots of money, too.