Tuscan shrimp combines tender and juicy shrimp with a creamy and rich Parmesan sauce with sun dried tomatoes and spinach. Impressive yet easy to make.
Servings : 4 servings
Calories : 400kcal
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6–8 garlic cloves minced or chopped finely
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine such as pinot gris or chardonnay
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomato strips – not packed about 3 ounces I prefer the ones sold in a bag and not the ones packed in oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped finely
If Serving Over Pasta
- 12 ounces pasta cooked until al dente drained
- 1/2 – 1 cup reserved pasta cooking water
In a large skillet over low heat, melt the butter and stir inthe garlic. Cook on low for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring constantly . Don’t let the garlic get browned.
Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook on medium heat until it starts to get pink side (about 2 minutes on one side, and about a minute on the other). Transfer to a plate. The shrimp should not be fully cooked at this point.
In the same skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until they become soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the wine to deglaze the skillet, and scrape the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits stuck at the bottom of the skillet Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the wine reduces by about half.
Stir in the sun-dried tomato strips and mix well. Cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and broth and the Italian seasoning.. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring frequently over low heat.
Add the fresh spinach and allow them to wilt. Add the Parmesan cheese and mix to combine. Adjust seasoning.
Return the shrimp to the skillet. Add the fresh basil and mix well to combine. Let the shrimp cook for about 2 – 3 minutes or until cooked through.
Serve immediately with crusty bread or tossed with pasta. Garnish with basil and additional Parmesan (optional).
If Serving with Pasta
Add the cooked pasta into the shrimp skillet. Gently toss until the pasta is coated with the sauce. Add some of the reserved pasta cooking water, one a bit at a time, to keep the pasta creamy.
- If you use sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, make sure you drain the oil as much as possible so the sauce doesn’t turn out greasy.
- You can substitute half and half for the heavy cream if you prefer. The sauce won’t be as rich but it will still be amazing!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 1-2 days.
Calories:kcal 489 | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 60g | Fat: 10g |