An easy baked keto chicken thighs recipe that uses a trick from Cooks Illustrated to get the bone in chicken thigh skin nice and crispy!
- 8 Bone in, Skin on Chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoon baking powder (not baking soda!)
- ½ tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- Preheat the oven to 250F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and a wire rack. Spray the wire rack with cooking spray.
- Trim each chicken thigh of any excess fat or skin with a sharp knife.
- Combine all of the seasonings and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken in a bag or a bowl with a lid and top with the seasonings. Secure the bag or bowl and shake vigorously, being sure the chicken thighs are evenly coated in the seasonings. Remove the chicken from the bag and place on the rack, skin side up.
- Bake the chicken in the center of the oven for 30 minutes. Increase the heat of the oven to 425F and move the oven rack up one spot then bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until brown and crispy. Chicken is cooked through when an internal temperature of 165F is reached.
- The baking powder is essential to making these chicken thighs extra crispy. I like to make sure it is distributed evenly by shaking the chicken with the baking powder and seasonings in a bag or a large bowl with a lid.
- I have made this recipe with frozen and fresh chicken thighs. The frozen chicken thighs are more wet before cooking than fresh but they yield the same crispy results.
- I have also used this recipe to make crispy chicken legs. They were just as amazing! Just make sure you keep an eye on them in the final cook because they can cook a little quicker than the thighs.
- Storage Store these in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Reheating I recommend reheating these chicken thighs either in the air fryer or in the oven. You can also heat them skin side down in a skillet with a little oil. I do not recommend the microwave as the skin will become chewy and not very appetizing.
Nutrition per serving
Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g