This creamy, tangy low carb sour cream pie will become your favourite spring dessert. With an easy grain-free press-in pie crust, it’s simple to make too.
- 1 recipe press-in pie crust baked
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup butter chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 tsp xanthan
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, egg yolks, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Cook, whisking frequently, until mixture thickens, about 5 to 8 minutes (but watch carefully, you do not want it to curdle).
- Remove from heat and add butter and lemon extract. Sprinkle with xanthan gum and whisk quickly to combine. Stir in sweetener to taste (I like mine rather tart).
- Whisk in sour cream until no lumps remain. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to set – the longer, the better, so overnight is best if you can wait that long. (It’s also awesome if you pop it in the freezer for an hour after being refrigerated).
- Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream.
| Food energy: 330kcal | Total fat: 31.05g | Calories from fat: 279 | Cholesterol: 142mg | Carbohydrate: 5.74g |Total dietary fiber: 1.82g | Protein: 5.77g | Sugar alcohols (erythritol): 18g |