Zucchini taco boats are easy to make and a fun way to put healthy twist on taco night! This zucchini boat recipe is low-carb, paleo, keto, and Whole 30 friendly, so they work for just about everyone!
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup cauliflower rice, (I buy mine pre-riced)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped zucchini, reserved
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, optional
- 1/4 cup diced cherry tomatoes optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Trim the top and bottom of zucchini off. Lay the zucchini flat and slice in half lengthwise. Repeat with all four zucchini.
- Using a spoon, scoop the center of the zucchini out leaving 1/4 inch wall around the bottom and sides of the zucchini. Repeat with each zucchini halve.
- Reserve 1 cup of the zucchini meat from the center of the zucchini and give it a rough chop. We will use this in the filling.
- Add a thin layer of salsa to the bottom of a baking and lay the zucchini boats on top. You may need two dishes to fit all of the zucchini.
- Ina large non stick skillet, heat olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the onion along with a pinch of salt.
- Once the onion is translucent, push to the side and add in ground beef. Season with salt and break up into crumbles. Add taco seasoning and stir to coat.
- Next, add in cauliflower rice, garlic, bell pepper and zucchini ‘meat’. Season with a little more salt and pepper and stir.
- Pour in remaining salsa, stir everything together, and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool until it’s easy to handle.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst all 8 zucchini boat halves and then sprinkle each half with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the zucchini is tender.
- Top with fresh tomatoes and cilantro and enjoy!
- I always buy my cauliflower rice pre-made at the grocer store. You can use fresh or frozen for this recipe, both work.
- If you want to keep this recipe Whole 30 compliant, be sure to leave off the cheese.
Serving: 1boat | Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 420mg | Potassium: 660mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1074IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 2mg